Saturday, March 2, 2013

Back to Iowa

As you may know, my mom and I took a trip back to Iowa for her brother’s funeral.  She had asked me to go along with her, and at first I wasn't sure if I should because of all the school I would miss, but I felt that God was telling me I should go and that He would make something good out of it. 


It was really good to be in America. It felt like home, even in D.C. just because it was America. After being stuck in this cage for three years, my ideas about America, American’s and life was a little bit jostled and twisted just because I didn't have any reference points.  Going back cleared that up, and God helped me to change my mind set a little bit. 


Seeing family was definitely fun.  I have an amazing family.  While I was there I can assure you that I didn't miss all the sarcasm here.  And it was good for once to be surrounded by people who didn't pressure me to center my life on music or popular things.  My family is very Christian. Christian radio is always on. They, even the teenage guys in the family, are nice to people. They want to be nice. They are fun! 


I did get to see snow! It was super cold the whole time I was there, which was really fun.  I got to wear jeans and long sleeved shirts everyday! You can NOT do that in Malawi. My fingers got so cold that it was hard to move them, and my lips were so cold that forming words didn’t always work the best! We did try to go sledding, my cousins and I. The snow had started to melt, so it was all slush, but we made it work a little bit. 


IT was a sad occasion to going back – the funeral, but it really was happy. I was so glad that Uncle Dan could be in a better place and better life.  Not to mention that his funeral was a beautiful one. It was such a blessed funeral. It honestly was a celebration of his life and passing on to a better life. I did cry a little, but I enjoyed it a lot. 


So, was my time there a break?
It was and it wasn’t.  I’m glad I had a while to live differently than I have been living.  A mix up of my schedule and a little bit of fun and getting away, I think was needed. I still had things to worry about and work on while I was there though so it wasn’t a break from everything. 




I’m really thankful that I got to go to Iowa, and I am a little bit more excited about moving back now.  God is so good. He kept us safe, He helped me change, He taught me things and He gave us a good time. It’s so wonderful the measure of love God has for us every day!  


No comments:

Post a Comment